Emergency Phone Number:
If you feel you have a roofing emergency such as a leaking roof, please read the following emergency scenarios to see what steps you should take right now to ensure your situation is handled properly.
- Before you request any roof repair services, you should be 100% certain that the source of leaking is the roof. Stains on your ceiling, water pools in light fixtures, or drips down a wall or from a bathroom vent, do not necessarily mean your roof is leaking. During winter months, temperatures can change drastically in a short period of time. Sometimes this leads to rapid melting of ice build-up that has accumulated in the attic due to poor ventilation, and eventually this will seep down inside the To assess whether your roof is leaking and therefore will require a roof leak repair, go into your attic with a flashlight and examine the roof decking and vapour barrier underneath the insulation. Look for frost or icicles on the underside of the roof, wet spots, or puddles of water on the vapour barrier. If these signs of melting are present, the problem is probably not a roof leak, but rather improper attic ventilation or insulation.
- If your roof is leaking after a weather event (e. wind storm, hail storm, etc.), see the Storm Events section below.
- If you are confident your roof is leaking and it is not the result of ice build-up or a storm event (or one not covered by insurance), call Meerkat If our office is closed, please call the emergency phone number noted above. We usually get our crews out within 24 hours, sometimes within just a couple hours, to do an emergency roof leak repair patch or waterproofing to prevent any further damage before a full roof repair can be done. For full roof repair services, we usually try to get our crews out within 2-4 business days. However, if there has recently been a severe weather event, please note that this may be delayed as we are dealing with numerous roof leak repairs and roofing emergencies.
- Ensure the roof leak is truly the result of a leaking roof, and not ice melting.
- Ensure the roof leak isn’t the result of a storm event for which you are eligible to receive insurance coverage. If so, see below.
- Contact Meerkat immediately for a temporary roof leak repair patch and estimate for a full roof repair.
- If your roof needs repairs after damage by a major storm or weather event, (e. shingles blown off by high winds, hail damage to shingles, etc.), contact your home insurance company immediately. Each insurance company, and sometimes even different insurance policies, have different definitions of catastrophic storm events (e.g. sustained winds over 130 km/h, or hail stones over a certain diameter). This is the threshold insurance companies use to determine whether you will be covered for roof repairs that result from severe weather damage. If you are unsure whether you have coverage, there is no harm in asking your insurance company for a professional assessment. Either way, you can always request that Meerkat Roofing & Exteriors be your roof repair service provider.
- If you are covered for the damage, initiate the process to make a claim, requesting that Meerkat be your service provider. If no request is made, the decision on your service provider will be left to your insurance adjuster. Once your claim is started, your insurance company will contact us directly to provide instruction. You may contact our office at any point to help expedite roof leak repairs for an insurance claim that is assigned to us.
- If you are not covered, contact our office during business hours to get an estimate for our roof repair services. If your roof is leaking, call us immediately for assistance (see Leaking Roof step 3 above).
- Please note that damage due to storm events will not always mean your roof will start to leak or there will be immediate damage to the home itself. If your roof does not leak right away, it most likely does not need to be repaired immediately. If, however, if your roof does begin to leak and your insurance company is dealing with Meerkat, call us right away. If our office is closed, please call the emergency phone number noted above. We can usually get our crews out within 24 hours, sometimes within just a couple hours, to do an emergency patch or waterproofing to prevent any further damage. These temporary roof repair services can be reimbursed by your insurance company later on.
- Please note that roof repair insurance claims can take days, weeks, or even months to be processed depending on your insurance company and the number of claims it receives after a storm event. Once your claim has been processed and we receive instructions from your insurance company on how to proceed, we can typically send out our crews to complete full roof repair services within a few days.
- Contact your insurance company (there is no risk to ask for a professional assessment if you are unsure about whether the damage is covered).
- Initiate a claim (request Meerkat Roofing be your service provider – if no request is made, the decision is up to your adjustor).
- Contact Meerkat to help expedite the process if the insurance claim has been assigned to Meerkat.
- If your roof is leaking after a storm event that you’ve started an insurance claim for with Meerkat, contact us to do a temporary roof leak repair.
“Job well done! You are a great company to deal with. Very fast, efficient, clean work. We appreciate all you did. We love our new roof!”
– Joanne and Greg G.